Erected in 1596, Binondo Church is one of the oldest places of Christian worship in the Philippines, but over the centuries the original edifice has sustained considerable damage from earthquakes and other natural disasters.

Today the octagonal bell tower is all that remains of the 16th century construction. The upkeep of the present church is largely funded by the Catholic Chinese community, many of whom reside or operate businesses in neighboring Chinatown .