On March 9, 1900, the American Circulating Library was established in Manila as a fitting memorial to  American servicemen who died in Philippine soil. The Library was organized by Mrs. Charles R. Greenleaf and its first librarian was Nellie Young Egbert. The American Military Governor in the Philippines, by the authority vested in him by the United States Philippine Commission through Public Act No. 96 passed on March 5, 1901, accepted the Circulating Library as a donation of the American Circulating Library Association to the government.