For almost four centuries Santo Domingo de Manila, the church and motherhouse of the Dominican Order, stood within the walls of Intramuros . Moved to this site after the destruction of original structure in World War II, Santo Domingo is best known as the home of a beautiful and richly robed image of the Virgin Mary called ‘Nuestra Senora de La Naval’ (Our Lady of La Naval).

The centuries-old image is credited for having saved the city from an invasion by a Dutch armada in 1646. The yearly procession dedicated to the image is one of Manila’s biggest religious festivals.